Monday, August 15, 2016

Low Sugar Challenge Day 4-cupcakes for breakfast?

Last night I ate a banana for a snack. I barely like bananas for breakfast so choosing one for my nighttime sweet treat was a big deal, considering this is usually the time- when the kids are tucked in bed-that my inner cookie monster gets her snack on. Tonight, I'm crunching on apple slices. While these are no doubt good decisions, I'd much rather be chewing on some dark chocolate raisenettes right now!

Day four of the low sugar challenge finds me with a headache, which I suspect is from the lack of caffeine from my faithful sweet teas and absence of my morning coffee. If I'm being honest I've also felt tired and sluggish all day, which may or may not be due to staying up past midnight last night reading a good book and then waking up several times afterwards with Asher the teething machine. In any case, I'm sort of hoping this is the proverbial "hump day" in this sugar bust. I digress...

I've had a good amount of interest in what snacks qualify as low sugar. Again, I'm no expert, but here are some of my favorite low sugar snacks and meals so far. Pretzels and saltines not pictured, because I ate them already, several times over, there is nothing left to show of them...

Naturally sweet plantain chips from Trader Joes-yummy!! I have a nostalgic spot for plantains, and these do not disappoint.  I need to get more ASAP. Note to self, just buy 5 bags next time. 
Okay so not NO sugar, but LOW sugar-these are a delicious savory option, especially with cheese cubes!
And then there's popcorn. If you don't have a popcorn maker, you must get one. There's nothing like homemade popcorn, and there are so many variations of recipes to try out. An old neighbor of mine put honey and cinnamon in hers, and we've loving taken on the recipe in our house. It's a great way to make your popcorn sweet and healthy while stopping short of kettle corn.
Cashews are my fave! 
Meals really haven't been a struggle(though of course I'd like to pair mine with something other than water). Over the past few days we've had steak, chicken, broccoli, rice, tacos and so on. I was even pleased to find out my favorite cobb salad from Chic Fil A only has 5 grams of sugar.
Get in my belly!!!
I will note though, to beware the breakfast foods! I can't tell you how surprised I've been to read the nutrition labels on the back of my kids yogurts, cereals and breakfast bars. And then you've got the breakfast cupcakes(ahem, muffins), donuts(cake for breakfast?), pancakes, and dare I mention pop tarts-ahhhh!!! Sugar is sneaky sneaky in the morning-the price of all these quick, convenient options I'm sure. 

Going back to the more savory, home cooked breakfast foods, I actually feel kind of like a pioneer woman, or Paula Dean when her hair was "jacked to Jesus." I've been cracking eggs and boiling grits, and have plans to sizzle up some yummy sausage and bacon soon. Over the weekend I'm going to whip up some homemade granola bars-it's amazing how much healthier you can make things on your own. Yes, it takes more time and dirties more dishes, but it tastes so much better too! I used to make these more frequently but have long since fell off the wagon. This little experiment has been a nice reminder to get back to basics. Happy snacking!

No comments: