Monday, April 25, 2016

Now We Are Six

When I was one,
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six
now and forever.
-A.A Milne
It's insane to think this first born boy of ours is now six years old. Big kid status! Five is comfortable enough, but I feel like six is the beginning of the climb to the big 10. Evan has grown up so much in this last year. He even looks different! He's gotten a good bit taller, has two less teeth, and dropped most of sweet baby fat-though I will always remember those enormous chipmunk cheeks he was born with! In honor of his sixth birthday, here are 6 things to describe our Evan Matthew...

1. He is a fish! He loves the water and has done really well in his swimming class. So far, swimming is definitely his sport of choice. As an aside, swimming is an excellent vascular exercise for kids with asthma and a great help to lung capacity/development. I can't wait to see his little fins take off this summer! 
2. He is artistic-not only has he come into a love of drawing over these past years, but he has a great eye for photography and capturing everyday life. He notices beautiful things, like the way the back of a cd casts a rainbow on a car window, and pretty girls with red hair. ;-)

3. He has an awesome memory. Maybe all kids have great memories, but I have particularly noticed this kid's booming brain and am determined to fill it with good things! So far in our kindergarten year I have had him review and store up the US presidents, 50 states, NT books, several psalms, poems and more. On a school note, I have to squeeze in that I'm so proud of how well he has done in our first year homeschooling. This kid is so smart I tell you. Now just to reign in that crazy short 6 year old boy attention span lol...smart and wiggly!

4. He is sensitive. This has always been a blessing and a curse to us lol! I always said I could more easily deal with a child with a temper over a child who whined...God has a sense of humor! I love that my Evan is sensitive and tender hearted, and pray it grows him into a kind and compassionate young man. In the meantime, a sensitive six year old often makes for easily hurt feelings and difficulty bouncing back from everyday bumps and bruises. I thank God for Bennett, who daily toughens him up and encourages his gentle spirit. They truly do soften each other's edges!  

5. He is a perfectionist. Already I can see in his schoolwork that he is his own worst critic, and daily battles with his rubbery arch nemesis, the eraser! Some days I wish erasers were never invented so we would just have to deal with our mistakes and move on. It's a hard line because in the world of tests you do want to shoot for a perfect score, but at present I'm happy to row in the boat of "trying your best with a good attitude." No sour lemonade here! In any case, I know this bent towards perfection, rightly steered, will serve him well in life. I can easily see him in some very detail oriented, precise engineering type of work. Currently he says he wants to be a "builder" when he grows up. :-)

6. He is a comedian. Evan loves his knock knock jokes and just being overall silly with his friends. As it stands in our house he holds the best record for making baby Asher laugh-and is proud of it! 
Happy birthday little man, we love you!!

No comments: