Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Adventures in "I Do"

In anticipation of an upcoming marriage seminar Chris and I will be attending this weekend, the strictly scheduled, preparation loving angel on my shoulder prompted me to dig around for some "spoilers" so that I would have an idea of what to expect and gather some thoughts beforehand. I found some free marriage and family devotionals on the sponsoring website, and while they certainly would'nt rank in my top 3 as far as resources go , I did find some great pearls of wisdom in the bible verses used and their related thoughts. The verses used in this particular devotional were especially sweet to me because you don't commonly hear them in relation to marriage specifically, though they certainly permeate all aspects of our relationships with one another. I'd challenge you to take some time with your spouse and talk over a few of these simple and encouraging thoughts listed below.

1. "The eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of you." 1 Corinthians 12:21

-What keeps you from easily and openly admitting your need for your spouse? Tell your spouse why and how you need them. Ask God to give you a true perspective on your limitations, your own dependence Him and each other.

2. "Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor." Ecc 4:9
-Make a prioritized list of the way you need your spouse-encouragement, parenting, romance, balance, honesty, accountability(a few suggestions)- and then share it with one another. Thank God for giving you someone to experience life with.

3. "Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger."James 1:19
-How often are the words "Your not listening to me" spoken between you. Think about one way you can become a better listener.

4. "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up." 1 Thes 5:11
-This devotional talked on the very destructive power of the tongue, and encouraged us to praise each other with our words and to use your tongue to build up and not to tear down.

*Visit http://www.famiylife.com/ for more information.

No comments: