Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Survival" mode

I love our new family of four. With a toddler and a newborn in tow, the question I get asked most frequently by friends and family is without a doubt "How are you surviving?" And the truth is, very well! Of course, this season of life is bound to be a circus at times, but overall we are happy to say that our heads are happily above water. The hardest part of this new dynamic is by far the logistics and practical aspects of it all. It's not the two extra feet, but rather finding clean(and matching) socks to cover them with-that's the challenging part!

It's amazing how just one little person can add so much "extra" to a daily routine.  The car has reached maximum capacity(not to mention a new level of "garbage can" lol), my diaper bag is closely catching up, and the laundry-well it's overflowing. Two carseats plus two different sizes of diapers, times an extra change of clothes, minus 30 minutes of time gone to nursing a little one = one late mama! I've always considered myself a pretty on time kind of gal. Now, it's safe to say that punctuality has left the building-right behind freshly shampooed hair, a clean t-shirt and my size 2 jeans!

Today I fed, bathed, and enjoyed my two sweet boys-and that's pretty much all that got done! For the time being, that's alright by me. Sleep will return, a shower will come, and maybe just maybe I'll wear my favorite blue jeans again. Sure, I may have just half emptied the diswasher, but at least the silverware for dinner is on the table. :-) I did find some time for thank you cards, dustbusting and a little laundry(still in the dryer) somewhere in between-and thank goodness for that! For now and in this "newborn" season, I'm (learning to be) content to just be mom, and savor these precious and fleeting days with my two growing boys. As an aside, I saw this little poem on someone's facebook wall today-it's always made me smile a little but especially on a day like today. Like I said, I may  not be in survival mode, but my house surely is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know this is my favorite spot on the internet...please don't ever take it away from me! Gigi