Friday, August 12, 2016

Low Sugar Challenge-Day 1

Alternately titled "Confessions of a snack-aholic," "When picky gets pickier" or "Sugar-it hurts so good."

I recently read an article about the dangerous poison we all love called sugar. I believe that being healthy and fit is about more than how you look, it's about how you feel. And while I don't necessarily appear to be unhealthy, I could write a different story on how I feel. Tired during the day, restless at night, often "bloaty" and no stranger to headaches. And let's not even talk about the dentist...the not so secret culprit I suspect is SUGAR.

"By now, you've probably heard that sugar is killing you sweetly. It's been linked to breast cancer, damage to the cardiovascular system, obesity and more. If you're not paying attention to the sugar content in the foods you eat, you should probably start"

Today I am beginning a "low sugar" challenge, wish me luck!! The reason I'm going "low sugar" over "no sugar" is because I like to be realistic about my expectations. Knowing myself and my ferocious love of sweet tea, to start with a "no sugar" diet would be a recipe for failure. And so, cheers to making small but meaningful changes. With moderation in mind, I decided I would let myself have one cheat treat everyday-my morning coffee.
To give me the push I needed, I conveniently ran out of sugar last week. It's currently sits at the top of my grocery list in progress, but I will not buy it this week! I struggle enough with self control when it comes to food, and I do not need that sweet bag of sugar calling my name from the pantry.

Lastly, a disclaimer...
I don't claim to be a nutritionist or foodie expert, and yes I know that sugar is not the only problem plaguing in my pantry. My goal is to go low sugar for an entire 7 day week, and let the results speak for themselves. I want to come away more aware of the nutritional value in the food I consume, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not curious to see if there will be any felt effect on my tummy area. I can tell you right now it won't be Pinterest perfect-I may post a picture of a roast beef sandwich with a side of strawberries as a "low sugar" lunch. Comparatively, that's pretty low sugar for me-and I'd be super proud of myself to consistently eat that way. We've also recently joined the local YMCA, so I'm riding a good wave here. And I'm sharing with you dear readers because I need the encouragement!! Without further adieu, here goes something!

Day 1:
A quick reference to google and Pinterest taught me that the recommended daily dose of added sugars to a woman's diet is 25 grams, or 6 teaspoons. New lesson learned: there are 4 grams of sugar to 1 teaspoon. Now let's talk about that coffee...

I like my coffee to resemble a milkshake. After my two teaspoons of sugar and generous helping of french vanilla creamer a la Coffee Mate, I estimated my sugar level to be at 18 grams of sugar. Wait what?! As in, already busted my sugar limit FOR THE DAY before 8am??? True story. This may be harder than I thought...

Let's hope I don't turn into this girl tomorrow. ;-)

No comments: